As of October 6, 2020, the borders of Guatemala are OFFICIALLY OPEN!
This means that tourism is back in full swing!
That’s right, the borders are now open and tourism has begun again on all avenues! Though this is true, you might still be wondering, “Is Guatemala really open” or “would it be worth it to go right now?” Please allow us to answer these questions below…
1. Yes, Guatemala is really open in all areas of commerce!
- The requirements for official reopening that were published by the government of Guatemala have been met. This means that every avenue of commerce is now free to reopen and continue business as usual. You can view the official translated document here.
- Travelers, like yourself, have already began to arrive and explore! To be more specific, international travel reopened on September 18, allowing travelers into the country, yet commerce was still limited. Now that the country has officially met all requirements in view of Covid-19, the remaining areas of commerce are officially allowed to reopen on October 6.
- We also have partners on the grounds throughout Guatemala that confirm all details found in this post.
2. There are a few regulations in place to ensure your safety.
- All persons entering Guatemala by air must present a negative COVID-19 test result issued no more than 72 hours prior to arrival. Note: Air carriers may request proof of negative test upon departure from the United States. If this concerns you, don’t worry, we will walk with you through the process to ensure that you are good to go without any hiccups.
- Masks are required everywhere in public places, at all times. If anyone does not adhere to the mandate, there will be a fine from the authorities.
- In certain cities like Antigua, which is included in all of our Guatemala tours, stores are required to close at 8PM, bars are to close at 9PM (no alcohol sales after 9PM), and restaurants are to close at 10PM. Anyone is allowed to be out-and-about after those times, without issue, but those businesses will be closed.
3. Now is the perfect time to travel to Guatemala! Why?
- The country reopened just before high season! High season, which showcases the perfect weather, begins in November and ends in April.
- Since all areas of tourism are now open, you will get the same exact tour that you book as found on our website, nothing less.
- The country isn’t full of tourists, so this means that you would have the country almost to yourselves! Low tourist volume in high season is unheard of!
- We are offering 15% OFF on the first two Guatemala Tours booked after this post (and it doesn’t matter what dates of travel you book)!